After a few setbacks and distractions, I finally finished my first project in the new studio. And after the loom strap incident, I didn’t think the rug would be salvageable. But I went ahead with it anyway and it turned out just fine. One thing I did not notice while weaving was the visual ridges running up the length of the rug. Because of the weave, there are actual physical ridges, but the color pattern really accentuates them more than I thought they would.
While I had the rug on the stretcher for steaming and drying, I finally got around to sorting and labeling the ridiculous amount yarn sitting in plastic tubs and boxes. There are the dozens of cones of Monte Tate yarn, rug yarns from various sources, “specialty yarns” that I’m mostly afraid to use since they are so nice, what I call scarf yarns (things like cashmere, angora, and other not-for-rugs yarns), and everything else.
It was about a day’s work, but the yarns are now in a fairly reasonable order, with most things stored and labeled in clear tubs, allowing me to see what’s in each tub and find what I want a little more quickly. For many of the yarns, I’ve always had a project in mind – a scarf, a rug, a thing that I was excited about at the time. The labels have the additional function of reminding me and re-exciting me of those particular projects.
For my most current project, however, yarns were still just stored randomly on shelves or in the original moving boxes from 2 months ago. One of the first things I pulled out was a drab, pale color I thought I might never use. Another 15 minutes of rummaging around produced some like colors, equally drab and pale, but against one another, each stood out and produced a nice complement to the others.
The rug is essentially the same as the last rug as far as weave and patterns go, but with a different color palette and dramatically different results. There are three patterns in each of the rugs. The border pattern has pretty much the same effect:
The main body of the rug uses a color pattern called flame point. Its intent is to use four closely related colors that produce a flame effect. Produces a different effect with the new colors.
The most dramatic difference was with the third pattern. I originally devised this weave as a way to transition from a light color to a dark color. I used it in the new rug as a way to gradually progress through the colors used in the main body of the rug.
There is a type of braid that I like. Really, it’s more of an elaborate preparation for the actual braid itself. Mostly I’ve done this type of braid using a fringe of linen with relative success. Here it is several rugs ago:
This time around I used a cotton warp, which then means I end up with cotton fringe. I thought I would try it this time with the cotton. The difference in texture made the cotton harder to work with. The cotton also has a different look when done. Not terribly different, but less chunky and less rustic.
I hope I can use some of these ideas in my next project, which I plan to start this week.