Is that what you call it? I don’t know. It’s really less a heather than it is kind of a random mix of things. Not even sure how I acquired it. Made for a pretty nice-looking rug, even if I do have some concerns about how well it will wear.
There were flecks of different colors throughout the yarn that gave the finished product a sense of texture and depth. On closer examination, it started to look like someone swept up everything that was on the floor of the mill – and I do mean everything, fiber or not – and spun it into a super bulky, fluffy yarn. I’m not even sure it’s all wool. There were what might be feathers, cotton, bits of string, plus a generous helping of burrs and pokey stickery things. Although, to be fair, wool is known for having leftover “vegetable matter” from whatever the sheep were rolling around in before they were sheared. Typically, some of that gets missed in the cleaning of the wool. And things inadvertently get sucked in the the spinning process – I once pulled out a long string of plastic several inches long twisted into some yarn. But for this yarn, there was more than the normal amount of VM so that while weaving, I kept a pair of tweezers handy to pick out anything that might stab someone on their delicate bare feet.
Something else new – no fringe!
I have been trying to develop a way to make a fringeless rug that doesn’t involve sewing. I tried folding over the ends, but that created two problems. The first was that the end had to be much thinner that the rest of the rug, or the end will be too bulky. The second problem was that where the fold occurs, the warp threads show through and I didn’t like the look. More importantly, with the exposed warp threads, I was concerned about the warp threads wearing through and the rug unraveling.
There were a couple other ideas I tried involving darning the ends into the rug, but I couldn’t get it to look neat without distorting the rug.
Then I came across a sample piece I had in a box and got an idea for just how to treat the end. I would try the folding over idea, but using extra thin yarn. In addition, a double row of thick twining right at the fold would create an edge that would protect the warp threads, and one that wasn’t too thick for the rug, if all that makes sense. It’s probably more of a visual.
Snipped off the ends and ironed and all that. In all, it ended up looking pretty nice.
The fringeless finish took about the same amount of time as creating a fringe. But I am happy that my experiment worked that and now I have options for future projects.
Next Up: holiday break, then things I haven’t done before.