Squares

Today, I finally got around to taking photos of one of my more recent rugs.  It was kind of an experiment, and if it works, I have two more in the queue that may get the same treatment. The studio generally has excellent lighting.  So, when it comes to taking photos, light isn’t a problem.  And, I have a pretty nice camera, a tripod and other equipment.  Even so, I can’t seem to get good photos of my work.  I see pictures of other weaver’s work all the time, and they tend to look great.  Let’s just say that mine kind of have that homemade look.  The problem is partly colors and surface textures.  My work table has a semi gloss finish on it, so I always have to work around reflections and glare.  The floor produces some glare, too, but not as bad.  The problem there is the floor is a sort of brick red.  Modern cameras always want to assist you by helpfully correcting the colors for you and that red really messes up all the other colors.  Although I finally figured out how to overcome the camera’s helpfulness, the red just doesn’t look appealing as a photo background.  The mosaic studio next door has white vinyl flooring.  It’s a fine floor, but it’s pretty shiny and looks kind of sterile in photos.

Back at the house, we have traditional wood flooring that is fairly neutral.  In addition, we have an eclectic mix of funky and sort-of antique furniture that might make for a good setting.  I rolled up the carpet and set up a nice chair with a bookshelf as the background. Now, that’s a photo.  Probably not professional level, but it suits me fine.

Rug with chairThe globe wanted in the action, so I put him in there, too.  Normally, the sun would be beating through, but today was cloudy, so that I had perfect conditions.

This rug is a full-blown version of one of the samples I did back in February and has worked its way up the the top of my favorites list.  It uses a tapestry technique called compensated inlay.  As with many of my projects, there were problems along the way and I had to un-ply about a hundred yards that I had previously wound together.  But, it would have added more colors to the background, and I particularly like the rug as it is.  So, extra work, but better results.

Rug 44 square

Rug 44 Fringe

 

Up Next: my Spring “vacation”

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s